Friday, March 28, 2014

Essentials for Every Aspiring Make-Up Artist

I've received quite a few emails and comments on how you too can become a makeup artist. Though im a big believer that practice makes perfect I realize that some of you may live in a state where a license or certificate is required in order to work and charge your clients. Though NYS isn't one of those states I dont want to be a "stateist" (yep it's a word...well now it is, lol) and assume everyone's state laws are like mine :)

That being said, there are some tools that I personally believe are essential in order to be able to present yourselves as professionals in the eyes of your clients. This is limited to actual products that can help you along in your career, I won't touch much on classes or education which is kind of a no-brainer. Im assuming none of you would have the audacity to see a cover girl commercial and suddenly think you too are an artist, lol. Trust me I've come across quite a few of those.

Anyhow, I'd like to start with my personal picks as far as books are concerned. Yes, im well aware that there are many to choose from but these in particular will benefit you ALL. The first, written by the amazing Crystal Wright.






This little bible will touch on so many different topics that will help you start/further your career. It can also serve as a reminder/refresher when you are brainstorming on ways to stand out amongst the ocean of other artists out there. It is a bible, trust me!

The second is also from Crystal Wright in the form of an ebook. It has got to be the most convenient way to tote her wisdom along with you!!


Both of these fountains of essential information will include not only tips and tricks but also interviews from professional working artists, stylists, and the like giving you first hand insight on what they've gone through, how they've paid their dues (cuz you KNOW you gotta pay them dues before you become ANYONE) and suggestions they have for you to make it in this glamour world we live in.

In reading both of these books I can tell you that, as with anything else, you have to really want it. You have to have the fire and the passion that it takes to make it doing what you love. Let me also tell you that these little gems also are filled with motivation so Crystal has really just gift wrapped success for you and it's up for grabs.

With samples of resume's, comp card suggestions, website, books and more. Honest to goodness, how can you even sit there knowing that your career is just WAITING for you to get into action???

I realize we may all work a "regular day job" because our MUA Careers don't yet hold sufficient monetary compensation for us to live off of just yet (lord why can't we can't all be Monifa Mortis or Joanna Schlip?? whyyyy?!). Ahem, sorry, just venting there, lol.. BUT we can do what we can to move forward and climb our way to the top :) There's plenty of room up there but you're not going to get there by procrastinating.


Visit her blog and learn more about how you can also be the best Hairstylist, Makeup Artist, Manicurist, Stylist....YOU. ;)

4 comments:

  1. BLOWN AWAY. THANK YOU for such a wonderful review and endorsement of my lifes work. Humbled my Dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Crystal I'm so glad u approved! Ur work is truly a gift to all of us, whether we're starting out or seasoned professionals. I hope your passion for helping others never dies out as you're a blessing. I'm honored to know u and be able to learn from such a gifted talent.

      Delete
  2. Again, Thank you Cristina!

    For your readers who may want to grab a copy of The Career Guide. Here it is in 3 places:

    My store: http://goo.gl/NqFDwW
    Amazon.com: http://goo.gl/YQzUfL
    iTunes: http://goo.gl/faZok9

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes thank you! I can't believe I forgot that! Lol.. You're all going to want to save the above links to your favorites, pin them to your home page (windows phone users) and check back often for updates! And if your lucky, Crystal will come to a city near youuuuu!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think:)