Friday, March 28, 2014

Henry N. Jackson 2009-2010 Fall Collection Boston


Traveling down memory lane I found myself at one of the fondest memories I have as a makeup artist. It goes like this....

May 30th 2009 was a day of days for me. I had the pleasure and the honor to serve as the makeup artist for Henry N. Jackson's Fall 2009-2010 Boston Fashion Show. Seriously, you can't even imagine what it was like. I will attempt to paint you a picture (and maybe even show you a few..lol).

This grand event took place at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Boston. This hotel provided Henry's team with a 'backstage' area to prepare and a separate ballroom for the runway show. It was HUGE!.

Backstage with the help of P.R. representative Denise Smith, things ran as smoothly as can be expected. The ladies were punctual, respectful and eager. They listened to direction and were as professional as can be. Not that I expected any less, I mean they're models for crying out loud.

The feeling in this room was that of excitement and tension. As they each tried on their gowns and arranged their overall looks, I was fortunate enough to witness a private fashion show. Seeing the glitz and glamour up close and personal was a rare treat. "You betta work"..teehee.. They soo did though, seriously..


I set up my area and was ready to go..
I was asked to speak with some ladies that were there for a workshop on becoming a runway model about makeup. (Essentials, types of makeup, proper runway looks, application etc..) This was a welcome change of pace for me. As I went about applying makeup to Henry's models I explained my makeup choices, application techniques & answered questions while trying to keep the whole thing light and fun. The ladies were so attentive. They asked questions, took notes and all in all seemed to go away with information they will use for future events.


One by one, each of Henry's models were dolled up and then dressed. Photo's were taken and tension rose as these ladies lined up, ready to take the stage. His creations came to life, swishing and draping so delicately. As they walked out, I could feel the goose bumps on my arms. There went my art and Henry's genius for all to see, judge and take in.

As the ladies hurried backstage to slip into their other looks, I could see the excitement in their eyes. Everyone pitched in to help everyone. We were all dressing and undressing the girls. Strapping on shoes and touching up their makeup. It was a true team effort.


Then.....the final walk. I scurried as fast as I could to the door to catch a glimpse of it. Each beauty, shining like a star next to the other. The room roared with applause. Henry's smile was big and proud. Unbelievable!

A job well done.

Soon after, the press swarmed around him in the newsroom and his models joined him. Interviews were done and photo's were taken as onlookers salivated at the thought of being able to bend Henry's ear even for a minute. It was thrilling to watch.

Let me take a moment to tell you the most memorable part of the evening for me and for many others.... Take this in because it was unbelievable..Ready? Wait for it........ wait for it........ ok, listen(read) to this...

Henry was one model short for the show. On the spot, he asked a woman from the audience to stand in for him. She obliged. She was taken backstage where she slipped out of her clean tailored suit and into Henry's red sensational masterpiece. It fit like a glove and off she went to walk the runway. She worked it like it was her job, and the result??? Phenom!

This very happening is what almost single handedly exemplified what Henry's designs are about.... Real Women. A real woman from the audience was able to walk the runway in a HNJ design with the models. There you have it.. a "real woman" (not a model) wearing Henry N. Jackson's couture for real women.

I rest my case.... for now:)

1 comment:

  1. My friend is thinking of going into cosmetology and really loves doing make up. She's a great artist and keeps learning as much as she can and wants to go to school for it, but hasn't decided on a school that she wants to go to. I've been trying to find different ones for her to look at, like Elly Lukas Beauty Therapy College, and was wondering if you had any advice on what to look for in a school?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think:)